|Surrender of US troops at Malinta tunnel in May 1942|
Approximately 6km long, it was named because it translates as "to correct" because Spanish used it as a customs port for "correcting" documents. Later, it was known as Fort Mills by the Americans, and had several facilities for officers, a 1 mile long barrack for soldiers, a small airfield, as well as the all important lighthouse from 1853 onwards. It was incredibly important for both losing and gaining the Philippines to the Japanese invaders during World War II with brutal battles May 1942 and January 1945 respectively, being the losing battle when the Japanese blocked Bataan from supplying them with food and fresh water and one of the first to be liberated. It was very heavily bombarded and its ruins remain a memorial to the many that died during the war, with several memorials to Filipino and American solders and a Japanese Garden of Peace.
|The ruins of the mile-long military barracks.|